Saturday, June 20, 2009

Moving sure is a pain...

I absolutely hate moving.... Since I have so much...stuff...I found that I had a lot to pack and that I will be unpapcking for quite a while. The neat thing about my home is that I have a lot of room for storage. My garage has lots of shelves and my basement has both a crawlspace and a storage room as well.

It looks like my office upstairs is going to be geek central as I have broke out some of my older toys and most of my anime collection will be housed there along with my favorite comics.

Speaking of favorite comics, I am a huge X-Men fan and something of a Romy (Rogue/Gambit) shipper. So, when X-Men #224 came out recently, I was quite pleased with the outcome of the Australian arch of Xavier's odyssey. For fans of the Rogue/Gambit relationship, this comic was a MUST read as it pretty much centers around Rogue and her attempt at learning how to control her powers. At the end of the book, we all get a pleasant surprise.
Then there was the X-Men Origins: Gambit that came out last week. Remy's story has been told before but it was nice to see everything put together as a summary in one issue.
Truth be told, I wouldn't mind if this was turned into a 3-issue mini-series.

MISC COSPLAY

Spotlight on one of my favorite anime of all time, Gatchaman. This is one of the shows that was my EARLY introduction to Japanese animation (anime). These cosplays were done to the updated Gatchaman that was released back in 1994.

Ken the Eagle

Jun the swan (my earliest anime crush)

This OVA totally rocked! I only wish that it was longer than 3 episodes. A little bit of trivia: Maurice White (Co-Lead singer for the R&B group Earth, Wind and Fire) helped with the music for the OVA.

Gatchaman got a remastered release from ADV back in 2005 which featured what was perhaps one of the funniest dubs ever. There were quite a few, "Can you dig it's" and some "Right on's", too. You could tell that they were having a good time with the dub making for a good watching experience. Currently, I own eight of the nine volumes that have been released. Finding that ninth volume is going to be like finding gold. Looks like it might be an Amazon purchase.

So, we broke out episode number 5 of Hellsing Ultimate recently at forum. It has been soooo long since I have seen or read any Hellsing, that I forgot where we were in the story. Let's just say that there was a lot of blood. LOTS of blood. I really don't want to give any of the store away but I will say that it takes place during the events that occured in volumes 5 and 6 of the manga.
The really cool thing about Hellsing Ultimate is that it is following the manga pretty much to the "T" which makes me happy as the manga happens to be one of my favorite reads right now.

When I went home from forum, I decided to finally break out my season one boxset of "True Blood" and watch episode one. Now, anyone who knows me knows that I love vampire stories and having a vampire story set in Louisiana is right up my alley.
I was pleased with the first episode as it introduced us to Sookie Stackhouse (played by Anna Paquin), the main character. She works at a bar in a small (fictional) Louisiana town named Bon Temps. The story takes place in a world where vampires have "come out of the coffin" and live among us as a substitute for blood is invented.
Honestly, I'm surprised that I hadn't picked up any of the novels that the TV show is based on until recently. From what I have seen, and read, it looks like I am going to have to do some purchasing of Charlaine Harris' works. Since I prefer hardcovers, it looks like I'm going to spend some $.

RANDOM THOUGHTS

When I was at the gym just yesterday, there was a guy doing some lunges with a medicine ball. When he reached the bottom of his lunge, he would twist his upper torso with the medicine ball extended in front of him. Honestly, it reminded me of the Fusion Dance that Goten and Trunks from Dragonball Z did to form Gotenks. Man, I am a geek...



DECULTURE!!!




No comments: