Friday, October 17, 2008

Here's to being a poor otaku...


So, I finally took a look at my bank account today to find that I had A LOT less money than I expected to find...le sigh... I guess if I were going to sacrifice a month (by doubling up on bills) towards the end of the year, then October is it. Besides, I need to have moolah for X-Mas gifts and all.

You know, the bad thing about being a poor otaku is seeing all of the STUFF that you want and knowing that you can't afford them right now. An example... I'm on HobbyLink Japan recently and I see the Origin of Valkrie 'gokins.
Yeah..now that's what I'm talkin' about right there. A VF-1J brought to us by the good folks at Bandai is right up my alley. It is a 1/55 scale toy that is probably better (stability-wise) than it's Yamato counterpart.

Now, if you think that is cool...check this one out.
It's the VF-25 Messiah (Ozma variant) that I am straight up lusting after. Both it and the Alto variant are 1/60 scale from Bandai and runs about $120. That 's not bad, really. As something of a novice Valkrie collector (after meeting ZorMaster at NDK, I realize that I'm a novice), I don't have a problem shelling out that much for this incredibly awesome looking toy. I would love to see a Revoltech of this mech.
Speaking of Revoltechs...when i was at NDK, I went kind of nuts over them. I will post some of those pics at a later time. I need to re-take some of them because they didn't come out the way I wanted. Actually, I think that I need another camera, period. Anywho, I picked up a Maizinger, Star Scream, VF-1S and YF-19.
Now, while I really do like Revoltechs for their posability, the problem that I have with them is a very petty one. My problem with the toy is that they aren't to scale with each other. I really noticed it with my VF-1A (that I got from Cyphr for my B-day last year) and my VF-1S. The 1S is puny compared to the 1A and that's just not right. Skull One should NEVER be smaller than the other valkries. In fact, the YF-19 is smaller than the VF-1A as well.
As for other toys that are similar to Revoltechs, what I really am looking for is the GNU-Dou line from Yamato. Basically, it is Yamato's Revoltech as they are very poseable as well but they are a little bit bigger and made from a better type of plastic. Several people from other sites that I frequent are really high on this series so I need to check it out for myself.

Right now, the Krew is in the middle of Gurren Lagann at Anime Forum. Being a fanboy of most things Gainax, I became enamored with this show because of Yoko (see previous post). In time, I became a big fan of Simon the main character. The growth that he shows throughout the series is amazing. In fact, I will go on record as saying that Gurren Lagann is the best series that I have seen in more than 5 years. It's a compelling story with great character growth and a really good ending. (How often can you say that about an anime?) Anywho, we are showing one disc per evening so we will be done in two weeks. Then we will move to Code Geass for our feature anime. From what I have seen, I think that it will be enjoyable. Code Geass is one of those anime that I buy but never actually watch (like Last Exile).




I absolutely LOVE this scene....my friend, Card, hates this song but I love JPOP and this is right up my alley.

DECULTURE!!!

No comments: