Sunday, July 24, 2011

Some catchin' up to do Part 1

Inspired by all of the tweets that I received from San Diego Comic-Con this year, I have finally decided to get back on the blogosphere with a little overview of last year's SDCC.

Our first day in town, we ventured out into the Gaslamp District to see what trouble we could get into during our stay. We ran into this Cartoon Network-themed pizzaria and decided to step on in.
The food was pretty good and we kept it in mind for a future visit...

Preview Night was on the menu afterwards...as we stood in a long, yet speedy, line to get our con badges and swag... Once inside, I finally understood what all of the hullabaloo was about.
This convention was BIG!!! Bigger than any other con that I have ever had the pleasure of going to...and we, the OtaKrew, geeked out... I saw the above Gundam-themed backpack in the dealer's room on Preview Night...Honestly, I could have taken more pics from that night but I was just overcome by the vast amount of geekiness that I was engaging in...

The next day was spent standing in more lines in order to pick up Con Exclusives like the Carded Marvel Universe Galactus, Zentradi battlepod, etc.

While in line, we met this guy with this cooler than cool tattoo. You know, one thing about this con that I noticed early on was that the con-goers where really, really nice. I mean, if you wanted to take pictures, they took time for you. People were very polite. I was very impressed.
Another neat thing that happened while standing in this line was that someone recognized my KCUV t-shirt (a radio station from Boulder, Colorado)...It really is a small world as we met quite a few people from Colorado in San Diego.

Then there were the cosplayers...
Gotta love this version of Leia...
Then there were quite a few Baronesses but this one was easily among the best that I saw...
We went to the Robotech panel the first official night and saw this awesome Misa/Lisa cosplayer...afterwards we went out with some people from RobotechX as well as Tommy Yune and Tony Oliver (Rick Hunter)...a good time was had by all at Dick's Last Resort.

While we were there, we met World Champion pole dancer, Felix Cane...
She was nice enough to take a picture with me before heading off for the evening...
As for us, after the bar closed, we went back to the pizzeria from the previous day to munch on a few slices of pizza...
The first "official" day of Comic-con in the books and we were just starting to get loosened up...Here's Card and I sporting our Galactus gear while waiting in (another) line... Is there a theme here?


1 comment:

Joel said...

Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you about some broken links on your site. Please email me back and I would be happy to point them out to you.

Joel Houston
JHouston791@gmail.com